Building on your understanding of communication in dementia care and the unit content to date, you are required to write a report about an approach that enhances communication and engagement with one or more people living with dementia in a designated setting. You will choose one of the following settings for your report:
- a dementia/aged care facility (where you work, volunteer, or visit someone with dementia);
- your home (if you are caring for a family member); or
- a dementia care setting which you have read about or watched footage of.
For your report, you need to consider the context and the people involved. Your report should specify:
- one approach that is appropriate to the setting;
- the proposed approach and the expected benefits of the proposed approach; and
- potential constraints and enablers in implementing the proposed approach.
CriterionMeasures Intended Learning OutcomeCriterion 1Structure and organisation of ideas25%ILO 1, 2, 3Criterion 2Quality of content50%ILO 1, 2, 3Criterion 3Language use and writing conventions20%ILO 1, 2, 3Criterion 4Referencing5%ILO 1, 2, 3Task lengthYour report should have a maximum of 1,200 words (excluding the abstract and the reference list).Due by date23:59 (Hobart Time), Monday 12 Oct 2020 (Week 13)
Assignment 3: Important notes
– You are free to choose a topic related to approaches or interventions that enhance communication and engagement with one or more people living with dementia for your report. You could choose one of the following topic/sub-topic (Please note the list is not exhaustive). You could also work on another topic/sub-topic of interest, and you might want to check with me if your chosen topic/sub-topic is not listed here.
- (Multi-)sensory/environment approaches (e.g. aromatherapy, bright light therapy, Snoezelen room, or any modifications of the physical environment to address under- or overstimulation);
- Activity-based approaches (e.g. dance, art-based activities, walking, or gardening);
- Memory and/or psychological aid approaches (e.g. reminiscence therapy, reality orientation, simulated presence therapy, memory albums/ life history books, music therapy, pet/toy therapy, or validation therapy).
– The report should contain the following parts:
- Title page
- Table of Contents
- Conclusion and Recommendations
- Appendices (where applicable)
3. Word count
– The word count (max. 1,200 words) includes:
- Conclusion and recommendations
– The basic format requirements are:
- Double space;
- 1 inch margins on all sides;
- Times New Roman 12pt (for the body text); and
- Page header (The running head left and the page number right).
– Here is a sample report template for your reference. A downloadable copy is also available in Content –> Assignment Information. You can use this template for your submission, or design another one.
– The file should be called:
6. Report writing skills
– The skills needed to complete a written report will be covered in the 4th Web-conferencing session on 17 September. This session will be recorded and the material used in the session will be available in Content –> Web-conferencing.