Design a health promotion program for target group of individuals, affiliated with a community based organization, that results in increased physical or psychological well-being.
To assist your creativity in this process start by choosing a community organization to work with such as, Senior Citizen Center, March of Dimes, Right from the Start, the local mission, or whatever you may be interested in that is available in your community.
You may choose from senior citizens, poverty level populations- any age group, single young pregnant women, mentally ill, shut-ins, illiterates, etc. The goal is to increase health and wellness by promoting one specific health behavior, in an underserved population.
· Define the following characteristics of your target population:
o Age range
o Education range
o Socioeconomic range
o Any potential language or cultural factors
o Other additional, pertinent factors
· Write four one-sentence goals for the program. Each of the four goals must relate to successful program completion and should promote one specific health behavior.
The sample goals below describe a program designed to
help participants achieve and maintain a healthy body mass index (BMI):
Four Goals for the Workday Warrior Program:
1. Participants will adopt a regular exercise program.
2. Participants will attend 90% of meetings.
3. Participants will identify three reasons why this health behavior
is important to them in the short- and long-term.
4. Participants will work toward attainment and maintenance of a healthy BMI.
· Describe ways to get the target group interested in the program. What incentives would you offer to develop positive attitudes and increase motivation? When and how often will incentives be offered? How are the incentives related to program goals?
· Develop ways to gauge and maintain long-term success. How will participants measure progress toward modified habits or behavior? How will the program reinforce lasting success after completion? In what environment will the training or activity occur? Will it need modified to support the goals?
· Address individual needs. How might cultural beliefs impact program perceptions? What kind of support will be available to individuals who experience setbacks in goal achievement? How will the program be delivered so there is equal access among your target population (in what way, by whom, located where, in what form of media, etc.)?
· Present your ideas in a 1,200- to 1,400-word APA-formatted paper with a minimum of three references other than the text. One reference must be a journal article retrieved from the University Library. Additional references must be reliable sources retrieved from the library, Internet, or elsewhere.
· Post your paper as a Microsoft® Word attachment in your Assignment Tab.
Update Appendix B (optional).