UIUC Human Development Adult Attachment Paper
The purpose of this paper is to have you explore the relationships between attachment, especially adult attachment, and Erikson’s stage theory of psychosocial development. For this assignment, you will read the article by Pittman, Keiley, Kerpelmen, & Vaughn (2011), summarize and connect ideas from the article, and reflect on your own attachment and development. Because part of the paper requires reflection, you may use first person (I, we, etc.) when writing the reflection parts of the paper.
- Part 1: Introduction
- Write a brief introduction paragraph or section that introduces the topic of this paper and explains what the reader can expect to find in the paper (thesis).
- Part 2: The Purpose and Formation of Secure Base Attachment
- What is meant by secure base attachment, and how is it developed in early childhood?
- Why is attachment important?
- What are the patterns of attachment in early childhood and how do attachment figure behaviors (usually the mother) influence the development of these patterns? In other words, describe each attachment pattern of early childhood. Also, describe the types of behaviors that mothers might exhibit that contribute to the attachment patterns.
- What are the patterns of attachment in late adolescence/early adulthood? Describe these patterns and provide examples.
- Part 3: Erikson’s Developmental Framework
- Part 4: Bringing it Together: The Parallels between Attachment Theory and Erikson’s Theory
- Discuss the parallels between attachment and psychosocial development in early childhood.
- Discuss the parallels between attachment and psychosocial development in adolescence and early adulthood.
- Part 5: Reflection and Conclusion
- Conclude your paper by reflecting on your own development. Do you agree with the authors of this article on the parallels between the two theories? Why or why not?
- What do you think your attachment pattern was in early childhood? Why do you think so?
- In your response, consider the behaviors and nurturing behaviors of your attachment figure (most likely one of your parents), and to what extent exploration and engagement were encouraged by your attachment figure.
- What do you think your attachment pattern is as an adult? Why do you think so?
In your response, consider your process of identity development (so far since adolescence). Which of Marcia’s patterns of identify process do you most relate with? Explain why you think so. How have your parents (attachment figures) informed your identity process? How have intimate friendships or intimate partner relationships informed your identity process?