Organization of American States Thesis
Week 3 Assignment – The Role of IGOs in Global Civil Society
IGOs are made up of member governments, and they may be global, regional, or issue-focused. An IGO focuses on goals and policies aligned with its mission. In this assignment, you will examine IGOs, their formation, their functions, their differences from NGOs, and their effectiveness.
Write a 3–4 page paper about the following:
- Define IGOs and NGOs. Compare their roles in global civil society.
- Explain why IGOs that are formed by treaties are more advantageous and effective than a grouping of sovereign nations. Provide examples.
- IGOs also serve several basic functions that enhance cooperation. Choose two of the following IGOs and discuss their functions. Explore their role in international policymaking.
- United Nations.
- Organization of American States.
- North Atlantic Treaty Organization.
- World Health Organization.
- Describe three examples where IGOs have become increasingly prominent. Include examples such as facilitating conflict resolution between states, handling human rights violations, and dealing with impossible dilemmas where there is no positive outcome or no solution within conflicting states.
- Use at least four (two government and two peer-reviewed scholarly) sources to support your writing. For this assignment, government resources may include resources from an IGO. Choose sources that are credible, relevant, and appropriate. Cite each source listed on your source page at least one time within your assignment. For help with research, writing, and citation, access the library or review library guides.
Open the rubric to review the scoring guide criteria for this assignment.The page count does not include title and reference pages, which are required.This course requires the use of Strayer Writing Standards. For assistance and information, please refer to the Strayer Writing Standards link in the left-hand menu of your course. Check with your professor for any additional instructions.The specific course learning outcome associated with this assignment is:
- Review the role of international governmental organizations in influencing and making public policy.