Purpose of Assignment
Law impacts how business operations perform. With globalization, the law’s impact and corresponding business risks have grown. The student will learn to consider how and when a business risk should be pursued under traditional litigation (lawsuit, answer, and discovery) and where alternative dispute resolution methods are appropriate in both domestic and international disputes.
Resources: Legal Environment of Business: Online Commerce, Business Ethics, and Global Issues: Ch. 1, Ch. 2 (pp. 23-32), Ch. 3, Ch. 4 and Ch. 26; sites such as: Public Library of Law, Law Library of Congress, and Justia Virtual Chase law database
Select a business within an industry with which you are familiar (the business can be real or fictional). In a PowerPoint presentation of no more than 12 slides (excluding Title and References slides) examine the following:
- Identify the business, explain briefly what it does and where, and idenfity at least two ways the U.S. legal system affects that business or the industry of which it is a part.
- Examine the legal and business risks that business encounters when dealing with traditional litigation, (suit, answer, discovery, trial) and what measures business managers can take to reduce exposure to those risks.
- Identify and explain a potential global/international business dispute which your business might find itself involved in. Identify where (country and court) the dispute would be litigated, and why that particular location and court would be chosen. Explain if there are any forums for international alternative dispute resolution (ADR) which might apply in this situation.
THINGS TO KEEP IN MIND:
- All slides (except the Title slide, Introduction slide, etc.) must contain detailed Speaker Notes clearly explaining IN YOUR OWN WORDS the information presented in the slide.
- Copy and paste your Speaker Notes into the Speaker Notes Table document and submit with presentation.
- All information in the presentation which is not common knowledge or not based upon your own experiences must contain sufficient and appropriately cited references within the body of the slide and the Speaker Notes.
- All references must be listed at the end of the presentation in a References slide.
Cite a minimum of three scholarly references. Your primary reference should be the Cheeseman course text. At least one the other scholarly references must come from the University Library.
Format your presentation consistent within APA guidelines, as appropriate.
Click the Assignment Files tab to submit two (2) documents: Presentation and Speaker Notes table document.