Many people still believe that good preparation, a little confidence, and the work itself are needed to defend a masters thesis. But this is only part of the necessary, although the most significant.
Why do you need an abstract for the masters thesis?
Abstract – a short retelling of the dissertation in a simple and understandable language. Such an account aims to interest the reader to give him an idea of the research.
Since the masters thesis is quite voluminous, and the reader and the examination committee do not have time to re-read it in its entirety, the abstract becomes of paramount importance. It is in your interest to make it so that it is clear what the work is about.
The first step is to make a plan and understand the keywords.
How to write a dissertation plan
If you adhere to a scientific approach in writing a work, you must understand that a plan is needed not only for the research itself but also for all its components—annotations – including.
Before starting work, go to the department and ask for teaching materials on writing and design. Each educational institution has its own rules, so it is essential to do this. In the manual, you will find an example of an annotation for a master’s thesis.
There are two types of plans: superficial and deep.
In the first case:
- Justify the chosen topic;
- Indicate the purpose, object, and subject of research;
- Give a short description of the master’s project;
- Describe the main results and conclusions reached.
In the second option, there are more points:
- Information about the topic of work;
- A description of the relevance of its development;
- Formulation of goals and objectives;
- Description and justification of the chosen methodology;
- Definition of novelty;
- Description of practical use;
- Presentation of the results of approbation;
- Main text with a short description of each of the sections;
- Highlighting the distinctive features of the study (in comparison with others).
How to find keywords
With the help of keywords, you characterize the subject area of research and simplify its search in bibliographic databases.
Keywords should be directly from the thesis: which are often used and maximally reflect the work’s essence.
Here are three tips for what to do and what not to do:
- Don’t use too many words. The optimal amount is 4-5.
- Choose key phrases. Useful in cases where one word seems too general. For example, the term “analysis.” It should be specified and narrowed down the search area: mathematical analysis, enterprise activities analysis, economic analysis, etc.
- Phrases in keywords should not coincide with words that are in the topic or in the text of the work itself.
The abstract is written based on the introduction and conclusion and not the central part. It would be best if you interested the reader and not immediately lay out all the cards in front of him.
Don’t plan on writing a clean cut right away. The annotation is small; it can and should be edited. Write whatever you think is necessary.
Follow these guidelines:
- Write your resume in a scientific style (briefly and to the point);
- Avoid detailing;
- Try not to use highly specialized terms unnecessarily;
- Use generally accepted abbreviations, do not invent your own.
How to translate annotation into English
Translation of the abstract into English is not uncommon. This is unnecessary stress for students. But you can cope with this task if you know certain tricks.
First, it is essential to keep the original meaning when translating. It would be best if you did not go into any details or abbreviate anything. Translate precisely what you have in the original.
Secondly, don’t use automatic translators. Even if it seems that after the translation, the word is in place, or you hope no one will read the translation. Primarily if your master’s thesis is written in the humanities discipline.
How to check annotation on a masters thesis
Before you take the work for inspection, please give it a short test drive. Share the summary of the research project with fellow students familiar with the topic. If they don’t have any questions about the story’s logic, content, accessibility, then you did everything right.
Set it aside for a few days if time permits. A fresh look will help you see the flaws.
The most extreme option is to give a reading to people who are far from the topic. Even if they understand what it is about, then you can safely submit the project for verification.
To see how all the recommendations and requirements are implemented in practice, ask for sample master’s thesis abstract.
Don’t have the time or desire to write on your own? Get help from experienced experts.