Assignment: SCIE207 Phase 1 Lab Report
Title: Understanding the Scientific Method: Photosynthesis and Cellular Respiration
Instructions: Based on the virtual experiment, you will answer some questions and write a 1-page lab report using the scientific method.
When your lab report is complete, submit this document to your instructor in your assignment box.
Using what you learned on the lab animation, answer the following questions:
- Define a hypothesis that is suggested by the data that are collected in the lab.
- Complete a lab report using the scientific method.
- What effect does the intensity of light have on the rate of photosynthesis (measured as the number of oxygen bubbles)?
- Is it possible to examine the relationship between photosynthesis and cellular respiration under controlled experimental conditions? Explain your answer in detail.
Part 1: Using the lab animation, fill in the following data tables to help you generate your hypothesis, outcomes, and analysis:
Table 1: Rate of Photosynthesis Measured by the Number of Oxygen Bubbles
|Light Bulb||Trial 1||Trial 2||Trial 3||Average|
Part 2: Write a 1-page lab report using the following sections of the scientific method:
- State the purpose of the lab.
- This is an investigation of what is currently known about the question that is being asked. Use background information from credible references to write a short summary about the concepts in the lab. List and cite references in APA style.
- Hypothesis or Predicted Outcome
- A hypothesis is an educated guess. Based on what you have learned and written about in the introduction, state what you expect to be the results of the lab procedures.
- Summarize the procedures that you used in the lab. The methods section should also state clearly how data (numbers) were collected during the lab; this will be reported in the results or outcome section.
- Results or Outcome
- In this section, provide any results or data that were generated while doing the lab procedure.
- Discussion and Analysis
- In this section, state clearly whether you obtained the expected results and if the outcome was as expected.
- Note: You can use the lab data to help you discuss the results and what you learned.
Provide references in APA format. This includes a reference list and in-text citations for references used in the introduction section.
Give your paper a title and number, and identify each section as specified above. Although the hypothesis will be a 1-sentence answer, the other sections will need to be paragraphs to adequately explain your experiment.