10 points each
1. Give a definition for Bacteria.
2. List the characteristics of bacteria.
3. Describe the types of shapes that occur in bacterial cells.
4. Describe the following arrangements of bacterial cells: Streptobacillus, Diplobacillus, Streptococcus, Diplococcus, Staphylococcus, Tetrad, and Sarcina.
5. Describe the structure of the bacterial flagellum and explain how it works. How does the bacterial flagellum differ from eukaryotic flagella?
6. Discuss the Gram Stain. Explain Gram-positive and Gram-negative. Discuss the importance of the results of a Gram Stain.
7. Explain what the nucleoid is. Describe the bacterial chromosome. How does it differ from a eukaryotic chromosome?
8. What are plasmids? Discuss their importance in genetic engineering research.
9. Discuss bacterial metabolism including, photosynthesis, Chemotrophy, and heterotrophy.
10. Discuss asexual and sexual reproduction (genetic recombination) in bacteria.